A periodontist such as Dr. Ting at Think Oral Implants and Periodontics recognizes the early signs of gum disease and can treat it properly. Periodontal disease is a gum infection that is caused by poor oral health care. When gum disease is left untreated, it can lead to tooth loss and deterioration of the jawbone. Ultimately, there are many early signs of periodontal disease that a periodontist can detect during a dental exam. This makes scheduling annual dental exams important as gum disease is reversible at its first stage, gingivitis. We are committed to helping the Paoli, Malvern, Berwyn, and the surrounding Pennsylvania communities keep their teeth and gum healthy.
Symptoms of gum disease
Periodontal disease can be a silent disease, meaning symptoms don’t always appear until it has advanced. Some early signs of periodontal disease include:
- Bleeding, especially when brushing or flossing
- Red, swollen, or tender gums
- Loose or separating teeth
- Persistent bad breath
- Changes in the bite
When you suspect you have periodontal disease, our periodontal specialist can evaluate your oral health and offer different gum disease treatment options.
What are the stages of periodontal disease?
There are four stages of periodontal disease, including:
- Gingivitis: The first stage of periodontal disease is the only one that can be reversible. Bleeding gums is an early symptom of gingivitis.
- Slight Periodontal Disease: The second stage of periodontal disease isn’t reversible, but it can be managed with our help. The infection has yet to spread to the bone. Scaling and root planing are the best periodontal disease treatment to deep clean the gums and remove bacteria in pockets around the gumline.
- Moderate Periodontal Disease: This more advanced because the infection is deeper in your gums.
- Advanced Periodontal Disease: The final stage of periodontal disease oftentimes requires periodontal gum surgery. When it’s left untreated, it can lead to gaps or severe tooth loss.
Treating periodontal disease quickly is important to your oral health and in maintaining your smile.
Periodontal disease treatments
At Think Oral Implants and Periodontics, we like to approach gum disease treatment in a holistic way. This means we check our patients for different factors such as if they have diabetes, if they smoke, if they take medication that limits saliva flow, or other illnesses that impact gum health. From this exam and medical history discussion, we will make a custom treatment plan that may require a deep dental cleaning, scaling and root planing, soft tissue grafts, laser gum surgery, and more.
Learn more about periodontal disease treatment
When you leave your gum disease untreated, it will continue to worsen. At Think Oral Implants and Periodontics, our periodontist, Dr. Ting, will work closely with you to ensure your oral health remains its best. This is achieved with regular dental exams, routine dental cleanings, and an efficient at-home oral hygiene routine. For more information on periodontal disease treatment and to schedule an appointment, call 610-550-3333. We serve patients in Paoli, Malvern, Berwyn, and the surrounding Pennsylvania communities with advanced periodontal procedures and dental implant treatments.