You may feel self-conscious if you have missing teeth in your smile. Missing teeth also makes it hard to chew or bite. Dental implants help provide a stable tooth replacement. They aren’t dentures, but they offer complete tooth replacement acting as artificial tooth roots that help restore function. They also help prevent jawbone loss. By replacing these missing tooth roots, you restore your ability to chew, bite, and speak, without trouble.
Different types of dental implants
At Think Oral Implants and Periodontics, Dr. Ting can explain the different dental implants types available. He will evaluate your teeth and gums to make professional recommendations for you.
Some types of dental implants, include:
- Endosteal (Endosseous) Implants: Endosteal is the most common type of dental implant. They are sometimes used as an alternative to a bridge or for a removable denture. They are some of the most stable available.
- Subperiosteal Implants: These are rarely used today. They were once used to hold dentures in place for those with insufficient bone height. When these implants are used, they are placed on the jawbone within the gum tissue with the metal implant post exposed through the gums to hold the denture in place.
When you increase the surface roughness, your implant can heal better and become stronger. We use a Zirconia coating often as it is a transitional metal that looks natural and is durable.
Different methods of implants
- The All-on-4 (or 5 or 6) type is ideal for those who have lost most or all of their teeth due to tooth decay or gum disease. It allows you to place implants without any bone grafting by using a set of temporary teeth placed the same day.
- Single tooth implants are great for those who have one or a few missing teeth. A single implant can fill in the gap missing in a smile and restore its function instantly.
- Multiple Implants: When you have several missing teeth that create larger gaps, you can use multiple implants in the areas with large gaps.
Schedule an appointment to learn more about different types of dental implants
When you want to replace missing teeth in your mouth, consider all types of dental implants. Dr. Ting at Think Oral Implants and Periodontics can evaluate your teeth and gums to determine if you’re a candidate for them and also decide which will work best for your oral health. To schedule a consultation with our professional dental team, call 610-550-3333. We serve patients in Paoli, Malvern, Berwyn, and the surrounding Pennsylvania communities with advanced periodontal procedures and dental implant treatments.